bundy

* Modular * Extensible * Friendly *

[Bundy-hackers] Centralized logging process (Fw: [bundy] lettuce test failures due to corrupted log output (#4))

神明達哉 jinmei at wide.ad.jp
Mon May 5 19:46:38 CEST 2014

At Sun, 4 May 2014 22:52:56 +0200,
Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:

> In retrospect I realize that I failed to do something which was
> important from the very beginning of the project... TEST ASSUMPTIONS.
>
> It should be possible to benchmark logging directly using log4cplus and
> compare to a centralized logging server. This could reveal the actual
> performance costs (if any) to such a model.
>
> My guess is that logging through a centralized logging server is not
> much slower than logging directly from each process. Given that we
> could remove file locking primitives, perhaps a centralized logger
> could even be faster. Unless it is a LOT faster, we'd probably want to
> still avoid centralized logging when possible because of the single
> point of failure.
>
> However, since we seem to constantly have problems with STDIO/STDERR,
> perhaps it would make sense to centralize logging only for those
> streams.

If it's only for stdio and stderr, I'm not sure if it's worth
introducing an additional component; these are generally exceptional
cases like debugging purposes, right?  And, as I proposed for issue
#4, we could use workaround (logging to a file and then do 'tail -f'
or something) for such exceptional cases.  On the other hand, if we
are willing to accept communication overhead with a centralized
logging server for general operation, we can use syslog.

--
jinmei