bundy

* Modular * Extensible * Friendly *

[Bundy-users] Python based "Twisted Names" DNS server

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Mon May 26 13:46:45 CEST 2014

On Mon, 26 May 2014 13:35:38 +0200
Carsten Strotmann <carsten at strotmann.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Twisted Names is both a domain name server as well as a client
> > resolver library. Twisted Names comes with an "out of the box"
> > nameserver which can read most BIND-syntax zone files as well as a
> > simple Python-based configuration format. Twisted Names can act as
> > an authoritative server, perform zone transfers from a master to
> > act as a secondary, act as a caching nameserver, or any combination
> > of these.
>
> <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedNames>
>
> would "twisted names" be an interesting candidate for an recursive
> and/or authoritative DNS server module inside the Bundy framework
> (using the same config and logging framework as the main Bundy DNS
> server)?

Definitely worth looking into, although I have some doubts.

The first one is that I'm not sure that Twisted actually supports
Python 3 yet. The last report that I found was this one:

http://labs.twistedmatrix.com/2013/01/twisted-python-3-and-you.html

Which basically says, "don't use it". :-P

Another concern is that Twisted is a framework, which means including
at least the base Twisted stuff as well as the Twisted Names. I don't
know how big of a problem that is, but it is something to look at.

Alternatively we could look at it as an opportunity and make a Twisted
class as a sort of middleware to Bundy, allowing Bundy to take
advantage of *all* of Twisted, and vice versa....

--
Shane