bundy

* Modular * Extensible * Friendly *

[Bundy-hackers] libdns++ first items

Mukund Sivaraman muks at banu.com
Sun May 18 15:30:00 CEST 2014

Hi all

After talking to jinmei on IRC, in a local tree, I had split out
libdns++. This is what survives:

[muks at totoro lib]$ ls
bench/       dns/         Makefile     Makefile.in  util/
cryptolink/  exceptions/  Makefile.am  testutils/
[muks at totoro lib]$

testutils/ does not build because asiolink has been removed, but that's
fine. I have kept it around to take non-network related test code (see
below).

I propose doing the following to it after the repo is published:

* Fold exceptions, util, bench, etc. into libdns++ library. They will
  still live in subdirs, but part of libdns++ shared object.
* Adapt testutils and bench into separate tests library
* Remove generation of large Rdata parser source file, instead compiling
  parsers in-place
* Move src/lib/dns to ${topsrcdir}/libdns++
* Fold cryptolink (used in TSIG code) into libdns++ (like previous list
  item) keeping the wrapper concept. When further DNSSEC support is
  added, we will have to expand what facilities cryptolink provides. Add
  providers other than Botan.
* Reduce dependencies (such as not requiring Python to those who don't
  want it)

		Mukund