bundy

* Modular * Extensible * Friendly *

[Bundy-hackers] Proposal for realistic review

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at wide.ad.jp
Mon Jun 2 06:57:50 CEST 2014

At Mon, 12 May 2014 08:41:36 -0700,
<jinmei at wide.ad.jp> wrote:

> > > BTW: I just created a github ticket for a request for review:-)
> >
> > Hm... 1500 new lines. It's going to take a bit of review. :-P
> >
> > I don't think I'll have time this week, but I'll try to get this
> > reviewed before the end of next week.

It's still open after several weeks, and subsequent changes are
pending for that...

> I'm afraid the review has stalled, understandably as a pure voluntary
> effort.  So, as an attempt of finding a reasonable and realistic
> balance between the benefit of mandatory review and making progress,
> I'd like to propose this:

...and I've not heard any positive/negative response on the list on
this.  I've got one off-list response with a wishful thinking of more
volunteer reviewers possibly coming, but we now know that's not
happening at least for now (again, understandably, as no one has fully
committed to it).  So I think it's time to move forward with my
proposal, at least as I've not heard an explicit objection (other than
the wishful thinking that now proved unrealistic).  I'll slightly
modify the proposal, after understanding how the github's pull request
works in more detail:

- when someone completes a set of change to be reviewed and hopefully
  merged, it'll be pushed as a separate branch with a pull request
- we'll see if anyone is willing to take on reviewing it for a while
  (a day or two, maybe).
- if there's a reviewer, that's great.  we'll perform the originally
  planned review process.  even if it's not a full review, just
  checking if the new code has tests will be helpful and should be
  addressed.
- if it cannot get a reviewer or any other form of feedback, merge the
  branch anyway, and create a github issue for outstanding review,
  referring to the pull request.  if we're (super) lucky, someone will
  pick it up later.

My version of wishful thinking is that making progress this way *may*
entice some interested people to get involved.  If that happens, we
can then consider stricter review process.  If not, that's sad but
we'll at least have some progress.  One thing I'm sure is that hoping
more voluntary reviewers to magically appear won't work: we won't be
able to make a progress because we can't get a reviewer, and we won't
be able to get a reviewer as no one will be interested in a project
that doesn't make progress.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya